The Canadian Energy Efficiency Voluntary Agreement program (CEEVA) includes two important initiatives committed to continuing the ongoing improvement in the energy efficiency of Set-Top Boxes (STB) and Small Network Equipment (SNE):
- CEEVA STB, established January 1, 2017, covers the set-top boxes that consumers obtain from the leading Canadian Pay TV service providers including cable, direct-to-home satellite, and IPTV providers.
- CEEVA SNE, established January 1, 2020, covers Internet modems, routers, and other equipment provided by the leading Canadian Internet service providers that deliver broadband service to Canadian residential customers.
These voluntary agreements were developed in coordination with federal and provincial governments, utilities and supporting organizations.
Agreements & Reports
The Canadian Energy Efficiency Voluntary Agreements were adopted to drive improvements in the energy efficiency of Set-Top Boxes (STB) and Small Network Equipment (SNE) while encouraging innovation and competition. Signatories include service providers and equipment manufacturers.
One of the requirements of CEEVA is the publication of an annual report. These reports provide a summary of compliance, trends, and detailed energy measurements of each device for the reporting period. The 2020 report is the first year to report on small network equipment in addition to set-top boxes.
CableLabs is a non-profit research and development consortium that is dedicated to creating innovative ideas that significantly impact our cable operator members’ business. CableLabs also serves to define interoperable solutions among our members and their technology vendors in order to drive scale, reduce costs, and create competition in the supply chain. CableLabs’ membership is comprised of the major cable operators worldwide including the nine largest cable operators in Canada.
As North America’s largest technology trade association, CTA® is the tech sector. Our members are the world’s leading innovators – from startups to global brands – helping support more than 18 million American jobs. CTA owns and produces CES® – the most influential tech event in the world. Find us at CTA.tech. Follow us @CTAtech.
More Information & News
Get more information on service provider signatories’ energy performance of their devices.
Track the latest developments from the industry’s energy saving efforts.
- Industry Program Drives Energy Savings of New Set-top Boxes for Fourth Consecutive Year
- Industry Program Drives 44% Decline in Energy Used by New Set-top Boxes
- Top Internet Service Providers and Manufacturers Commit to New Energy Efficiency Voluntary Agreement
- Second Annual CEEVA Set-Top Box Report Released
- Independent Auditor Releases First Annual Report of Canadian Set-Top Box Energy Efficiency Agreement
- CEEVA Steering Committee Welcomes Technicolor as Signatory, Chooses Data Aggregator
- Canadian Set-top Box Energy Conservation Agreement Kicks Off With Inaugural Steering Committee Meeting
- Pay TV Service Providers and Manufacturers Announce Set-Top Box Energy Efficiency Agreement
Agendas and Minutes from CEEVA Steering Committee meetings are posted here:
- August 3, 2021 CEEVA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- June 11, 2021 CEEVA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- December 22, 2020 CEEVA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- August 11, 2020 CEEVA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- June 16, 2020 CEEVA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- August 1, 2019 CEEVA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- June 18, 2019 CEEVA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- July 31, 2018 CEEVA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- June 21, 2018 CEEVA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- September 6, 2017 Steering Committee Meeting Minutes and Agenda
- May 23, 2017 CEEVA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes and Agenda